Kronborg castle (Kronborg slot)
In the Evening, we briefly stopped at Kronborg castle (Kronborg slot), located on the Eastern tip of the island of Zealand, near the town of Elsinore. Since my energy ended in Copenhagen, some of the tourists in our group kindly offered to use his battery, which had managed to make a few frames.
To the 15th century öresund Strait became an important trade corridor linking the Baltic sea with the countries of Western Europe. In the ' 20s by the Danish king Eric VII "of Pomerania" on the sand spit at the narrowest point of the Strait was built the fortress Krogen (Krogen), along with Karnan fortress (Kärnan) on the other side of the Strait, carrying out the function of collecting tolls from passing ships. Captains of merchant ships were required to report the number and value of the goods, and Royal power had the right to buy the cargo at the declared price, which did not very promising undervaluation in order to reduce the amount of the fee.
After the Seven years ' war, in 1750 king Frederick II ordered to strengthen the fortress, new bastions and the wall were completed in 1577. The work was carried out under the guidance of the Flemish Hans van Passen (Hans Hendrik van Paesschen). And then the castle got its present name. A year later, again the Flemish obbergen by Antonius (Anthonis van Obbergen) two-storey building in the centre of the castle was extended and built on, an opulent Palace.
the Exterior walls were faced with Sandstone, the tower is decorated with sculptures Greta van Groningen (Gert van Groningen), and the roof covered with copper sheets. Frederick II, was an ardent admirer of theatrical art, and 1779 in the castle began to put on plays.
In 1629 the fire, which lasted two days, destroyed a large part of the areas of the Palace, in 1631, began restoration work and by 1639 the castle received new halls and rooms in the Baroque style, more luxurious than before. During the Danish-Swedish war of 1658-60, the area was occupied by the Swedes and looted most of the art was taken to Stockholm (the same fate befell Frederiksborg castle). The war showed that the castle was not impregnable, so in 1688-90, was built a new line of foreign fortifications made the castle the strongest fortress in Europe.
In 1739 the fortress was used as a prison. Those convicted of heinous crimes - serial killers, rapists, arsonists, was held in cold, damp cellars, and, shackled, did hard work on the erection of fortifications, others were outside of the castle were rented out to local farmers. The prison existed until the 20th century, it was also lost defensive importance and the military left the castle in 1923. In 1938 the castle was renovated and opened to the public. The castle became famous as the scene of the famous tragedy "hamlet" by William Shakespeare. The first theatrical show based on the great work here was arranged on the occasion of the bicentenary of the death of the author, and since then are held regularly. On the role of hamlet are invited well-known actors. The castle is one of the most important buildings of the Renaissance in Northern Europe and 30 November 2000 were included in the list of world heritage sites by UNESCO.
Outside the fortress moat is visible the Church of St. Mary (Sankt Mariæ Kirke) the town of Elsinore.