Copenhagen. New Harbor (Nyhavn)
After walking along Bredgada a block from St. Anne's Boulevard, we will find ourselves on the banks of the canal known as "New Harbor" (Nyhavn on the map). In 1670-1673, by order of king Christian V, a canal was dug from Inderhavn harbour to Kongens Nitorv square, the commercial center of the Danish capital. In this way, fishermen's loot and other goods could reach the market and merchants ' shops directly from the ships. The works were carried out by the forces of Swedish prisoners captured during the Danish-Swedish war in 1658-1660.
The banks of the New Harbor quickly became a popular destination for the port people - there were Breweries, pubs, and many affordable women lived in the houses.
Over time, the ships became larger and could no longer enter the canal, gradually the New Harbor lost its importance as a place for processing port cargo, and sea ships were replaced by small vessels that carried passengers between the districts of the city. With the development of land-based public transport, the function of the canal as a transport artery has been lost, and only pleasure boats now depart from the canal's berths.
Вдоль берегов канала можно увидеть большое количество старинных судов, в том числе и этот плавучий маяк.
Здесь всегда оживленно - это место популярно не только у туристов, но и жители Копенгагена часто посещают бесчисленные кафе, столики которых расставлены вдоль набережной.
Many people make appointments here or simply come to sit in the sun, admiring the prospect of the Harbor.